6 Important Questions You Should Ask Your Personal Injury Lawyer Before Hiring Them
You were injured due to someone else’s negligence and you have decided that it makes sense to hire a lawyer. Now what? You likely have many options in your area. How do you choose the best one for your case? How do you know that the lawyer you choose will represent you in the best manner, getting you the compensation you need?
Important Questions to Ask Your Potential Lawyer
Asking questions is an important part of finding the right lawyer. These are just a few of the questions that you might ask your potential lawyer:
- What type of experience do you have? Being a licensed lawyer just demonstrates that the lawyer has passed the bar. However, there are numerous specializations of the law. For example, a divorce lawyer is not be the best option for your personal injury case. Always find out what type of cases a potential lawyer handles to ensure they can handle your case effectively.
- Do you have any client testimonials? You can learn a lot about a lawyer from previous client testimonials. Ask for any previous reviews and pay attention to things like how well they communicated and how well they represented them.
- Who will work on my case? It is also important to find out who will personally work on your case. You don’t want to come to trust a lawyer only to find out that they will not be the one you will be working with. Find out which lawyers will communicate with you and who will accompany you to any court dates.
- How do you charge? While you never want to pick a lawyer based solely on fees, you do want to know how you will be charged. Find out if they charge a flat-rate fee or if they work on a contingency basis. Contingency means that you don’t pay anything unless you win the case and collect compensation.
- What happens if I lose my case? Choosing any lawyer is not a guarantee that you will win your case and receive compensation. Find out what happens, including what you owe and if they are willing to appeal the court’s decision before picking a lawyer.
- Do I need to go to court? Not all cases have to go to court. Settlement offers can be a good way to avoid the costs and time requirements of taking your case to trial.
These are just a few of the questions that you might ask your lawyer. Many lawyers offer a free consultation, which can be a good way to learn more about their legal services.
Keep New Jersey’s Time Limits in Mind
While you want to take your time and make sure that you choose the right lawyer for your needs, you also want to keep New Jersey’s statute of limitations in mind. The state has time limits on how long you have to file certain types of different legal cases, including personal injury, medical malpractice, worker injuries, and even defective products.
If you have decided to work with a lawyer, begin discussing your options and choosing a lawyer as soon as possible. You don’t want to miss out on the ability to collect compensation.
Contact a Nutley Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Personal Injury Case in New Jersey
Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to an accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Birkhold & Maider, LLC represent clients injured because of an accident in Essex County, Hudson County, Union County, Nutley, and throughout New Jersey. Call (973) 947-4670 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 189 Franklin Avenue, Suite 1, Nutley NJ 07110, as well as an office in Hamilton, NJ.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.