Car Accidents More Common During Summer
Many of the U.S. states, including New Jersey, notice an increase in car accidents during the summer months. Understanding the factors that lead to this, as well as ways you can improve your safety, are important to an accident-free summer.
Common Causes of Summertime Accidents
Here are a few things that lead to an increase in accidents in New Jersey during the summer months:
- Fatigued driving: Drivers travel more often during the summer months, which can lead to fatigued driving.
- Driving under the influence: Summer BBQs and celebrations can lead to an increased number of drivers under the influence.
- Increased traffic: There also tends to be more traffic on the roads during the summer months, with visitors or people out enjoying the weather.
- Distractions: With more vehicles and passengers on the road, there can be more distractions.
These are just a few of the causes of accidents that occur in the summer. Places like the American Automobile Association (AAA) report an increase in car accidents of drivers between the ages of 16-19 years. This may be due to the fact that teens are out of school for the summer months. This not only increases the number of drivers on the road, but also the number of less experienced drivers on the road.
Ways to Be Safe This Summer
Here are a few tips you, and your teen drivers, can use to stay safe during the summer months:
- Pull over: If you are traveling long distances, pull over and take a break. If you are tired, it is always a good idea to stop and rest.
- Avoid drinking and driving: Being proactive and arranging transportation ahead of time can help you avoid drinking and driving. This also sets a good model for teens who may choose other modes of transportation if they have been drinking.
- Be aware: With more traffic on the roads, it is even more important to be aware. This means looking out for both pedestrians and motorcycles.
- Avoid distractions: Distracted driving is not only illegal in New Jersey, but also very dangerous. Avoid using your phone or interacting with passengers when driving.
An increased number of drivers on the road paired with nicer weather can lead to drivers dropping their guard and engaging in distractions. Summer is not a good time to relax your safe driving habits. There is an increase in the number, and severity, of accidents. This means it is important to be aware and diligent in driving safely.
When to Contact a Car Accident Lawyer
If you are involved in a car accident, you may want to contact a car accident lawyer. Navigating a car accident case in New Jersey is not always easy. The state is a no-fault insurance state, which means you will first collect compensation from your insurance company. Many car accidents, however, are costly and exceed the damages that may be available through your policy.
In this case, a lawyer may be able to help you recover the funds that you need to recover from the accident.
Contact a Nutley Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey
Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Birkhold & Maider, LLC represent clients injured because of a car accident in Nutley, Hamilton, Fort Lee, Garfield, and throughout New Jersey. Call (973) 947-4670 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 189 Franklin Avenue, Suite 1 Nutley, NJ 07110, as well as a satellite office in Hamilton, NJ.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.